Verbal Analogies Exercise - Set 1
Choose the pair of words that have a similar relationship to that between the given pair of words.
1. Sing : hum :: Talk : ______
2. Liquid: liter
Answer: c. mumble
Explanation: The meanings of the words are:
- Murmur - It means a low continuous background noise.
- Whisper - To speak very softly for sake of secrecy, using one's breath rather than one's throat.
- Mumble - To say something quietly, making it difficult for others to hear.
- Shout - loud burst of voice or a loud cry.
So, when you hum, you sing in a low voice, sometimes may be without words. Similarly, when you mumble, you say something quietly.
a. Weight : kilogram
b. Land : seismometer
c. Bushel : corn
d. Fame : television
3. If Dawn: Morning, then Dusk : ________
Answer: a. Weight : kilogram
Explanation: The unit of measuring liquid is liter. Similarly, the unit of measuring weight is kilogram.
- Fame and television are irrelevant.
- Bushel is a measure of capacity equivalent to 36.4 liters (8 gallons). It is used to corn, fruits, etc.
- Land is measured in square yard, acre, hectare, etc.
- Seismometer measures and plots vibrations caused by an earthquake on a seismograph.
4. If Parson lives in Parsonage, then Pioneer lives in _________
Answer: a. Evening
- Dusk - It is the time before night when it is not yet dark, in the evening.
- Darkness - The total absence of light is called as darkness.
- Fog - It is a thick cloud of tiny water droplets suspended in the atmosphere.
5. If Ravens : Croak, then Ducks : __________
Answer: b. Wagon
Explanation: Other given places are inhabited by:
- Wagon - It is a place where pioneer lives in.
- Monastery - Monks live in a monastery.
- Cottage - It is a place where peasants live.
- Camp or Barracks - It is a place where soldiers stay
6. If Bears: Growl, then Asses: ________
Answer: d. Quack
Explanation: Others are the sounds made by different birds like:
- Parrots - talk
- Turkeys - gobble
- Mice - squeak
- Ducks - quack
Answer: b. Bray
Explanation: Other sounds are made by animals like:
- Asses - bray
- Sheep/ Lambs/ Goats/ Calves - bleat
- Cats - Purr