One Word Substitutes Exercise - Set 1
In each of the following questions, out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/ sentence.
1. A short, amusing story about some real person or event is called as ________
2. Act of bringing gentle and painless death from incurable disease is called as ________
ANSWER: b. Anecdote
- A short, usually amusing, story about some real person or event is called as Anecdote.
- Myth is a traditional story
- Fables are short tales that teach moral lessons. Animals, plants, mythical creatures are given human qualities to tell general truth. (Aesop's fables).
- Allegory is used to reveal hidden meanings through pictures, actions, etc.
3. A small enclosure for cattle, sheep, poultry etc. is called as _________
ANSWER: c. Euthanasia
- Euthanasia is an act of killing someone so that they do not suffer too long with pain, may be a person who is very old and ill.
- Suicide - The act of killing oneself.
- Fatality - Death caused due to accident or disaster.
- Gallows - It is a wooden frame which consists of a crossbeam used to hang the criminals to death.
4. Music sung or played at night below a person's window is called as _________.
ANSWER: c. Pen
- The nest of eagle is called as eyrie.
- Sty is a place where pigs live.
- A small enclosure for cattle, sheep, poultry etc. is called as Pen.
- Tigers live in a lair.
5. A government by the nobles is called as _________.
ANSWER: a. Serenade
- Music sung or played at night below a person's window is called as Serenade.
- Sonnet means a small song or lyric.
- A song consisting of verses and choruses is called as lyrics.
- The part of a piano duet played on the upper half of the keyboard is called as primo.
6. Anything written in a letter after it is signed is known as __________.
ANSWER: b. Aristocracy
- A government by the nobles is called as Aristocracy.
- The word Aristocracy derives from a Greek word 'aristokratia' which means 'rule of the best'.
- Government by one person is called as autocracy.
- Government by the officials is called as Bureaucracy.
- Government by the people is called as Democracy.
- Government by the rich is called as Plutocracy.
ANSWER: c. Postscript
- Anything written in a letter after it is signed is known as Postscript.
- This term is derived from a Latin 'post scriptum' which means 'written after'.
- An error or mistake to be corrected in a printed book is called as Corrigendum.
- The construction of past conditions by relying on the present is called as Postdiction. It means providing an explanation after the fact.